A couple of years ago I used to post local news on this blog, but that all changed when I began freelancing for What’s Up Weekly. You can read my restaurant writeups and Dish food news column a couple of times each month by picking up a copy of the local magazine or visiting whatsuppub.com.
A few things happened this month, including the Best of the Best issue, which have pushed the publishing date on my submission. So, I thought I would share the news here before it becomes old news that doesn’t get published. Plus I get to add my commentary here! 🙂
If you have any local food news, feel free to email, facebook, or tweet me.
Here are a few new places that I visited recently in photos. Click on the photos for more info:
Let’s get the disappointing news out of the way first.
- Last month, I wrote that Opus World Bistro had closed down. Does anybody know what happened and if Chef Ross has plans of reopening?
- Red Mountain Bistro made a huge announcement on their Facebook page a couple of weeks ago. They thanked El Pasoans for their gracious hospitality for the past 22 months, but then went on to say that they have decided to seize a great opportunity by relocating to Austin, TX. The bistro has been closed as of July 1st. I wasn’t really a fan of RMB, but it’s still upsetting to hear that a local business is leaving town. Hopefully someone will snatch up this unique spot quickly.
- Also upsetting, is that WB Liquors will open in the former Double Dave’s Pizza location on Redd. I really thought that a fast casual chain like Chipotle was going to take it over. What a waste of a cool space.
- Craft House Pub & Grub is now open on the westside next to Texas Roadhouse at 5020 N. Desert. The new bar offers a variety of craft beers bottled and on draft, liquor and a food menu of appetizers, hot dogs, burgers and sandwiches. For more information, visit them on Facebook. I’m sorry, but this new place was a huge disappointment for me. I was expecting this place to be like Hoppy Monk and it is far from it. It’s dark and plain in there and not in an ambient way. It kind of looks like a rec center in there. They offer a good variety of beers, but nothing really makes this place stand out. The food menu is typical bar food and there’s nothing vegetarian.
Onto happy news!
- The eastside has been buzzing about a new spot where you can grab a gourmet burger and get your car washed. Tutu’s Burger & Hand Wash is located at 1641 N. Zaragoza. Visit them on Facebook. Gabe from El Paso’s Wurst Food Truck told me that they added a veggie burger and it’s the best he’s ever had!
- Speaking of El Paso’s Wurst, Helga the food truck needs your help! They have entered Flo’s Fabulous Food Truck Contest to win money to help fund serious repairs that Helga needs. Last year, The Sweet Addiction cupcake food truck entered, but didn’t get enough votes. C’mon guys, let’s make it happen this year! Visit this link to vote. You can vote every day up until July 31. You can also visit facebook.com/epwurst
- Rita’s Jamaican Cuisine has been open for a couple of months at 5929 Dyer. You’ll find jerk chicken, curry goat, oxtail, fried plantains, and more.
- The TripAdvisor website ranked Sparky’s in Hatch, NM as the third best burger in the nation. Their green chile cheeseburger is what earned them this esteemed place. If you drive further up to Roswell, you’ll find the eighth best burger at Big D’s Downtown Dive. Their Tomahawk burger is out of this world, with aged cheddar, red chili and avocado lime mayo.
- Chubby’s Bronx Deli will be opening another location on the eastside at 1830 N. Zaragoza where the NY Bagel Cafe & Deli was formerly located.
- The Pizza Joint is adding a second location downtown at 500 N. Stanton. The new location will open within a couple of months and feature a full restaurant with a pizza window that opens out to the street.
- A new tea shop will open late summer in the UTEP area next to Cabo Joe’s at 3233 N. Mesa. The Tea Spout will sell loose leaf teas and baked goods, like blueberry green tea scones. Get updates at facebook.com/theteaspout
- Oktoberfest will return this year, thanks to a Fort Bliss agency that has taken over planning and hosting the event to take place at Biggs Park, September 19-21. The first two nights will cost $30 to include a German meal and stein, while the third night will be a free family night. Tickets go on sale August first. Can you believe I’ve never been to Oktoberfest? Shame on me! Maybe this will be the year.