If you’re off this Saturday (May 12), you should make it a day of going local! Start your morning off by visiting the Downtown Art Market (begins @ 8am), grab a coffee or other beverage to go at Kinley’s House, take your drink to the Vegan Bake Sale at Ruli’s (begins @ 10:30am), have breakfast/brunch/lunch at one of the local restaurants in the area, and then have another baked good at the Vegan Bake Sale before everything runs out or 2 pm (whichever comes first). Don’t forget to visit your library, too! 😉
Here’s a roundup of upcoming events and foodie news:
- May 12 @ Ruli’s from 10:30am-2pm: The Vegetarian Society is having another Vegan Bake Sale in celebration of Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale weekend. Proceeds will support Ben’s Pet Pantry, a new organization that helps struggling pet parents with feed and care. We’re trying out a new location at Ruli’s International Kitchen, near UTEP. You can help by donating vegan baked goods, staffing the table (must be knowledgeable in vegetarianism), or buying delicious goodies. I’ll be baking cupcakes, but I haven’t decided on the flavor.
- May 16 @ Airport Holiday Inn from 5:30pm-9pm (cost:$10): What’s Up is having their annual Best of the Best Dig where El Pasoans (age 21+) can vote for their local favorites in 90+ categories. Nominees were submitted by readers a couple of months ago. I am super stoked and honored that my blog has been nominated in the Best Local Blogger category! In order to vote, you must be present at the Dig. For $10, you get to see live bands, local artist showcase, bartender Warflair competition, and food (hope some of it’s vegetarian)! Some of the nominees are not local, so I hope you’ll ignore the chains and vote for local establishments…and me of course! 🙂 Details can be found here.
- May 19 @ Ruli’s International Kitchen @ 6 pm: The Vegetarian Society’s monthly Restuarant Hoppers meets and eats. VSEP is all about Ruli’s this month! Be sure to make your reservation by 5 pm on Thursday, May 17. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to VSEP’s Restaurant Hoppers guidelines here.
- May 19 @ Dorris Van Doren Library @ 2 pm: The Cook the Book Club will have their third discussion and potluck! This month’s featured cookbook is Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast. You’ll need to visit the library to sign up by May 14. We already have about 8 people signed up, and so far most have chosen vegetarian dishes, and it’s not even a vegetarian group! Maybe last month’s vegan pick inspired everyone. You can read about last month’s meeting here.
- The El Paso Convention & Visitor’s Bureau hosted a twitter chat all about local food last month! You can read the transcript here.
- I tried The Hoppy Monk’s Veggie Monk burger, and I must admit that I was impressed. The Veggie Monk is a house made pumpkin and black bean patty with provolone cheese, arugula aioli, and arugula served on a kaiser roll. It was very tasty and had a nice kick. I’ll post a review soon.
- Square Cow does have a veggie burger, called the “DL (vegan friendly).” It is not vegan friendly, as it comes with mayonnaise. It was really odd tasting. I couldn’t pick out the flavors except for lentils and chickpeas. None of the staff could tell me what was in it, and they weren’t knowledgeable about their beers. Fortunately, I know my beer and I had my smartphone handy. I was ecstatic to find that they serve beers from Denver’s Del Norte Brewing Co.! They have Manana, Cinco, and Orale on tap. They are all great tasting Mexican-style lagers.
- I finally got to check out Hope & Anchor’s Sunday Bloody Sunday special. You can order a vegetarian Bloody Mary and choose some fancy add-ons, like jalapeno stuffed olives, blue cheese stuffed olives, pickled okra, Sriracha, horseradish, and more! You even get a free grilled cheese.
- Congratulations to Bell Sucre! They signed their lease and will begin construction on their bakery, which will be located at 7500 N. Mesa. In the meantime, you can look forward to sampling their breads and sweets at the Ardovino’s farmers market.
- Speaking of farmers’ markets, the Ardovino’s Dessert Crossing Farmers Market will begin Saturday, May 26 at 7:30 am and continue until mid October.
- Italians has opened a second location at Sunset Pizzeria’s former location and is now open. Let me know if you’ve tried either one. You can read a review over at the “It All Started with an Easy Bake Oven” blog. Lisa is another local blogger who writes good local and regional food reviews. Go check her blog out! BTW, I’m totally jealous of her blog’s name.