— Lisa Martinez (@epvegsnob) January 6, 2012
A raw carrot is my least favorite vegetable, but a cooked carrot is a whole different story. I had been craving a creamy curried vegan carrot soup that I used to make a lot, but I couldn’t find the recipe. VSEP used to publish a full-on newsletter, complete with articles and recipes, including a delicious curried carrot soup. When I couldn’t find it, I decided to make a simple roasted carrot soup, sans the curry.
It seems to be carrot soup season, as Fairy Healthy Life posted a delicious sounding carrot and apple soup, and Earth Balance posted a creamy vegan carrot soup complete with oats. Here’s a carrot soup I came up with when a couple of purchases and cravings came together:
Roasted Carrot Soup
1 lb. carrots, peeled & sliced into ½″ slices
1 shallot, peeled & thinly sliced (you can also use onions or garlic)
2-4 cups vegetable broth
olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place carrots and shallots in a roasting pan. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over them. Combine until all vegetables are completely coated.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through and browned.
- Puree carrots with 1 cup of vegetable stock. Add more stock until soup reaches desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- You can also add milk, pureed silken soft tofu, or cashew cream to make it a creamy soup.
The recipe for the cilantro pesto can be found here.